TGV ESCAPE, KANATAL, TEHRI GARHWAL
After a 77 km drive from Dehradun, walk for 800 meters to meet everything that's largely recycled or reused. Some unique leisure experiences like hiking in the hidden Kodia Forest, home stay experiences in farmers and shepherds homes, riverside dining, and camping in the woods helps you commune with yourself, or the one you chose to share your space with.
A village in recreation, TGV Escape, Kanatal, situated above 8200 ft. has 3 locally re-done cottages on double, triple and quad accommodation and one condominium (accommodating 2 people) for budget travelers and volunteers.
The cottages with hand crafted floors and furniture are designed to cover the basics and provide for an excellent living experience and a stay not only brings out the adventurer in you, but also ensures that we turn you into a Garhwali food connoisseur. We serve local delicacies.
The place can comfortably accommodate up to 12 people and is suitable for solo travelers, families, kids, babies, pets and people with different age-groups and fitness levels.
Within the farm stay premises, we have one common/dining area and a kitchen with minimal electricity. Rest of the space doesn't have electricity by design and gets lit up on candles and kerosene lamps in the evenings. For extra comfort, we do provide solar lamps during the nights. Hot water can be availed in buckets from a common source.
Eat the traditional indigenous stuff, milk the goats, read, get your hands dirty in the farming, go for some tranquil treks or simply do nothing and chill.
We have a team of villagers trained in multiple dimensions of hospitality and management, agriculture and cattle rearing practices, and mountaineering from various reputed institutes. Our village managers are usually top end professionals volunteering their services as a Manager while on a self actualization or Tech-Detox sabbatical for 1 to 3 months, also doubling up as trainers for our staff and villagers around.
People living around are native Himalayan farmer, goatherd and shepherd families who migrate to these higher pastures and meadows during the months of summers and monsoons and practice agriculture as source of livelihood.
- Hiking in Kodia Forest: Situated under Tehri district, Kodia Forest is 3 km from road and offers a 14 km hike deep into the realms of wild flora and fauna
- Satyun homestay & trekking: This Village Satyun is surrounded by beautiful mountain ranges and forests. Located 19 km away from TGV Escape, the village and its culture – both are insulated from the rest of the world and offer a unique experience of living a countryside life. This place is also known for King’s Haveli – an old British mansion.
- Trekking from TGV Escape to Khurath/Kaniyun: As you start a 7 km trek from TGV Escape, you pass through one of the richest agricultural and goat belts in the area where people are still involved in their ancient & indigenous ways of living. Take the goats for grazing, milk them, harvest your food from these farms and cook & eat with the farmers. An ideal experience for trekkers, naturalists and those who wish to explore natural and organic farming practices coupled with a day of adventure.
- Devdarshani Forest trekking & camping: A one day or night picnic and camping spot that’s not flooded by the tourists and lets you be one with the nature.
Tariff (in INR) exclusive of 12% GST till March 31st 2022:
|Category||No.||Single||Double||Triple||Child- 6 Year and above|
|Meals*||B/Fast: 150 per person, Lunch: 250 per person, Dinner: 300 per person|
*Hideouts are on full board Pay As You Like.
Non-veg meals: INR 750 Per KG of Chicken (we’d need a little prior notification on this)
Guide, Pony, Porter: As per actuals directly payable to local community
Travel assistance for pick & drop: As per actual cost
Any out-house service/ experience: As per actual cost
**Pay what you Like for your meals made largely of indigenous millet, pulses and locally grown vegetables: An initiative to promote “Regional” and “Seasonal” elements in our food platters.
Our culture had embraced “Atithi Devo Bhavah” in real terms when friends, families and sometimes perfect strangers used to visit our homes, enjoy non pretentious hospitality and give something heartfelt in some form or the other, as per one’s capacity – as a token of goodwill gesture. The culture is on the brink of extinction so are we as compassionate humans. With ‘Pay What You Like’, we are making a small but honest attempt to revive this practice in our village tourism destinations. You don’t ask us what you need to pay – you be our guest – Evaluate the degree of contentment you have achieved with the regional meals and then Pay What You Like; in the drop box with your name and feedback, in an envelope provided to you at the time of departure.
- Nearest Airport – 90 Kms (roughly 2 hrs 50 minutes) from Jolly Grant Airport + 800 meters walk
- Nearest Railway station – 77 Kms (roughly 2 hrs 30 minutes) from Dehradun Railway Station + 800 meters walk
- Nearest Bus Stand – 81 Kms (roughly 2 hrs 40 minutes) from ISBT Dehradun + 800 meters walk
- Nearest Bus Stand – 85 kms (roughly 2 hrs 45 minutes) from Rishikesh Bus Stand (Via Chamba) + 800 meters trek
1) Public Transport: Board an early morning bus that leaves from Mussourie Bus Stand in Dehradun (outside Dehradun Railway Station) for Kanatal at 6:00 AM. Get down at Ramola Tea Stall at Thangdhar Village. Follow the signboards and walk for 800 metres to reach TGV Escape. Bus Conductor: Kaushal +91 8979276672.
Daily buses also operate from Rishikesh to Kanatal via Chamba.
2) Driving Directions:
From Dehradun Via Mussoorie Road: Before entering Mussourie, take a diversion towards Dhanaulti, cross Kanatal Main Market and reach Thangdhar Village. Take the bifurcation descending adjacent to Ramola Tea Stall. Drive for another 100 meters and park your cars. Start descending down for next 800 meters to reach TGV Escape.
From Rishikesh Via Chamba: From Chamba, reach Thangdhar Village in Kanatal (Chamba to Thangdhar is 15.6 kms), take the bifurcation descending adjacent to Ramola Tea Stall. Drive for another 100 metres and park your cars. Start descending down for next 800 metres to reach TGV Escape.
For more on driving directions – PFA Handy Doc!
3) Private car to Thangdhar and back: As per actual cost. Suggestions: Amrit Pal +91 9358037569, +91 9837838737; Amit Negi +91 9927324344
The 800 meters walk to TGV Escape is rated as an easy descending walk on a cemented-stony trail by most travelers, and can be completed in 15-20 minutes, depending up on one’s fitness level. However, one would need basic trekking shoes for it.
Route Map From Dehradun to Kanatal Via Mussoorie (2 h 45 min)
Be a Responsible Traveller
With a pledge to protect the micro-cultures of the communities we work with and the environment around, practicing 'responsible tourism' becomes an important aspect of our hospitality, agricultural and tourism experiences. Hence, to confirm any reservation with us, please go through this document containing TGV Resident Guidelines, and send us a confirmation via email.
1) Clothing: April to Sept: Cottons with light woollens
Oct to March: Heavy woollens
2) For the 800 m walk, if you wish to hire a pony for yourself or to carry the luggage, please do let us know in advance. Local pony drivers charge around INR 500 per pony/mule, which could carry 100 Kg of luggage, sufficient enough for 6 people. Having these 'no-road destinations' is one of our commitments to help the local communities earn some easy revenues through us. However, we still advise you to carry light to walk like the Himalayan natives to reach TGV
3) Carrying your own towels, soaps and other toiletries will help us avoid the wastage of gallons of water which goes into washing, and in minimizing the use of chemicals in the form of washing powder etc
4) We don't have electricity. Kitchen gets lit in the nights on solar panels and offers limited power for charging phones and other necessary equipment. Please carry a handy flash light/torch with extra batteries.
5) You’ll be amidst wilderness while hiking or exploring around. Do carry insect-repellent ointments, oils or creams to stay protected from seasonal bugs
6) Trekking shoes, water bottles.
We are operating without electricity and we don't serve gourmet meals. We do provide candles and solar torches for your comfort though. We live and promote the philosophy of 'smart minimalism' and we are an 'absolute no', if you are seeking conventional hospitality.
We coexist with nature and these areas are prone to wild mammals, insects and snakes so one needs to be careful and one is responsible for one’s own safety.
GPS Coordinate: 30.420886,78.338075